Little Underbank, Stockport
In 1860, Stockport Council authorised the construction of a glazed and cast-iron covered market in Market Place. Little Underbank lies in the natural ravine of Tin Brook, to the south side of the Market Place, which caused problems of access to the market. In 1864, it was decided to build a bridge over Little Underbank, linking the Market Place with St Petersgate, to provide an easier approach from the west of the town and Edgeley Railway Station. St Petersgate Bridge was constructed in 1866-8.
For more information see the Stockport Historic Environment Database.
## 10-12 Little Underbank on the right was built in the late C18 or early C19 on the south side of Little Underbank. The 1849 1:1056 Ordnance Survey map shows the building originally abutted a larger building on its east side, identified as the Queen's Head Public House. The latter was demolished when St Petersgate Bridge was built in 1866-8, and it appears that at this point the public house moved into No. 12 Little Underbank. The pub fixtures and fittings confirm this, being of a later C19 date. There has been some late C20 remodelling retaining many original features.
A contribution to Sunday Bridges at San Francisco Bay Daily Photo
Please note that comments that include html style links are not displayed.