The Wave by Lucy Glendinning in collaboration with Mark Merer was installed in St John's Square, Blackpool in September 2009. It is a mirror polished stainless steel wave shape with intelligent internal lighting, a laser cut pattern with transparent blue resin insets and a figure cast in crystal clear blue resin which dives from the wave. Around the base are clear cat blue pebbles which act as seats and protection from traffic.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist was the very first church to be built for Blackpool and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on July 6th. 1821. The present building dates from 1878. It was extensively renovated between 1997 and 2007.
See a closer view and a view from the opposite direction on Ackworth born, gone West.
Please note that comments that include html style links are not displayed.